Each winter, RochesterWorks submits a Request for Proposals to qualified community partners to deliver structured employment-based paid summer work experiences for youth.
What is the Request for Proposals (RFP)?
The RFP seeks to identify local for-profit, not-for-profit, and faith-based organizations capable of providing a six-week summer work experience for youth ages 14-15 from late-June/early-July to mid-August.
- Qualified work experiences must employ a minimum of 10 youth for 20 hours per week during the six-week period. Attention must be given to developing traditional paid employment activities that mirror true-to-life job activities with a youth-driven and strengths-based employment focus.
- Employers are encouraged to partner with local businesses to provide structured work experiences. Partnerships should include a formal Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs) or a Letter of Intent to detail the working relationship. Specific job tasks must be consistent with the New York State minimum-age standards for employed youth under the age of 18.
- Qualified work experiences must all integrate financial literacy and sexual harassment training. Employers selected for funding will receive standardized financial literacy training for implementation.
What community programs have participated in the SYEP?
- Action for a Better Community – Adolescence Inspiring through Multi-Media Project (AIMM)
- Action for a Better Community – Equipping, Performing, Inspiring in the Community Project (EPIC)
- Baden Street Settlement of Rochester, Inc. – In-Control Drama Team, Video Production Team, Metro Council for Teen Potential Media/Video Production Team
- Caring and Sharing Child Care Center, Inc. – Summer Child Care Education Internship
- Community Place of Greater Rochester, Inc. – Developing and Advancing Tomorrow’s Entrepreneurs (DATE)
- Community Place of Greater Rochester, Inc. – Youth Exploring Entrepreneurial Projects (YEEP)
- East Rochester Youth Activity Center – East Rochester Youth Training and Employment Program
- Foodlink, Inc. – Farmers Market and Food Access Internship
- Greece Central School District – Summer Work and Learn
- Greentopia – Stars & Stripes
- Ibero-American Action League, Inc. – Community Involvement through Greenspace Program (CITGP); Media Broadcasting Program; and Landscaper Apprentice Program
- Market View Heights Collective Action Project MVHCAP – Field to Table
- Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES – Career Ventures
- Monroe Community College – MCC Leadership and Education Project
- North East Area Development, Inc. (NEAD) – NEAD Freedom School GIS, Entrepreneurship, Teaching, and Investment in Tomorrow (GET IT)
- Regional Center for Independent Living – RCIL’s Youth Leadership Program: Developing Employment and Community Leadership Skills
<li>Reliant Staffing (dba Career Start)– Summer Shark Tank
- RIT, Pathstone, MVHCAP – Field to Table
- Rochester Arc and Flame – Welding
- Rochester City School District – LawPrep, PowerMath
- Rochester Community TV (RCTV) – Summer Youth Production Team
- Rochester Education Foundation – Law Camp
- Rochester Rehabilitation Center, Inc. – Yes We Can
- Rochester Technology and Manufacturing Association (RTMA) and MCC Applied Technologies Center – ATC Project Based Summer Work Experience for Youth
- Rochester Youth for Christ (YFC) – I.N.V.E.S.T. in Youth! Successful Pathways of YFC
- Southwest Area Neighborhood Association (SWAN) – All Up in Your Business!
- Strings for Life, LLC – Strings for Life Music Project (M3)
- The Center for Youth Services, Prosper Rochester, Inc. – The Seedfolk Youth Program
- The Urban League of Rochester – ROC City Entrepreneurs
- SYEP 2023 Work Experience Proposal Form (.zip file/Read/Write Capable Word.doc)
- 2023 Bidder’s Conference QA
2022 (Bidding has closed)
2021 (Bidding has closed)
2020 (Bidding has closed)